Skin Treatment Savvy: Your Guide To Microdermabrasion In Northern Virginia
While there is nothing wrong with living with these changes, many people decide they would prefer to get rid of them. If this is your choice, you have access to a myriad of different skin treatment options, but not all of these have the same risks, effects, or patient requirements. Microdermabrasion is a quick, effective, and safe way to clear spots, minor scars, and other skin issues. Available from the MedSpa at NOVA Plastic Surgery, this method lets you achieve the skin you seek with few risks or inconveniences.
What Is Microdermabrasion?
Developed as a less aggressive alternative to traditional dermabrasion, it involves spraying your skin with small exfoliating crystals. By gently removing the outer layer, the crystals can eliminate aging spots, acne spots, uneven coloration and texture, and other skin issues that affect only the outer layer. Because it does not extend deeper than that layer, this procedure is not effective on certain scars, wrinkles, and other forms of damage that affect the skin underneath.
While salons and other non-medical institutions sometimes perform microdermabrasion, it is far safer to get it under the supervision of a licensed dermatologist. This allows the team performing it to address all safety and aesthetic issues as comprehensively as possible. When you trust the
NOVA Plastic Surgery MedSpa team, we provide:
- Initial Consultations– We begin all microdermabrasion treatments with a consultation, where you can tell us how you want to change your skin and we confirm that this is the most effective method to achieve that. We also go over your health history and examine your skin to make sure that the treatment will not present any particular risk to you.
- Treatment Sessions– Once the consultation is complete and you have confirmed that you want the procedure, we will set a date to perform it. Microdermabrasion is not painful, and thus does not require the use of numbing medicine. Most patients experience a minor sensation of sanding, but usually do not find this uncomfortable. It should take us between half an hour and 40 minutes to perform this procedure on your face and 20 to treat your neck.
- Recovery Periods– While there are few negative side effects to microdermabrasion for most patients, it may take your skin a few days to fully reflect the treatment. Keep your skin fully moisturized and out of the sun during this period to ensure full positive effects.
While you should notice the impact of microdermabrasion after a single treatment, several treatments may be necessary to fully solve the issue that you want to deal with. The effects of this method also do not last forever, so many people choose to get additional treatments periodically as they age. Depending on your skin, you may be able to have a session once a month, once every two weeks, or even once a week. Most patients will receive 5 to 16 rounds of microdermabrasion total.
For all the benefits of microdermabrasion, it isn’t for everyone. When you come in for your initial consultation, we will check for factors that could make this unsafe, such as:
- Skin Cancer Signs– Moles and other large spots on your skin that grow, change in color, or ooze blood or pus may be cancerous. If we discover any such skin issues, we cannot perform microdermabrasion, but will instead focus on treating the cancer.
- Medicine Use– Certain medicines can react negatively with microdermabrasion. One particularly problematic treatment is isotretinon, a substance used to treat severe cases of acne. If you have taken this drug within the past 6 months, microdermabrasion is likely to cause scarring and other complications. For this reason, we recommend waiting to undergo the procedure until the effects of the medication have disappeared.
- Other Skin Issues– If you have a tendency to scar easily or face other issues with your skin, microdermabrasion is not a good idea.
Despite these limitations, microdermabrasion is a safe, effective skin treatment for a wide range of patients. Pay us a visit today to see if it is right for you!
How Does Microdermabrasion Affect My Skin?
Microdermabrasion has a number of positive effects on the skin, including:
- Evening Your Appearance– Uneven coloration or texture is often the result of factors that extend no deeper than the skin’s outer layer. Microdermabrasion is thus an effective way to make your face and neck fully symmetrical.
- Getting Rid of Spots– Whether due to acne, aging, or the effects of cosmetics and medication, spots can disrupt an otherwise consistent complexion. With microdermabrasion, you can get rid of these issues and give your skin a youthful and undisturbed appearance.
- Skin Smoothening– Because it gets rid of bumps, craters, and other issues on the outer layer, microdermabrasion makes your skin look and feel smoother. This contributes to the youthful apperance that many patients hope to achieve through this procedure.
The specific effects of microdermabrasion vary based on your skin tone and the issues you are trying to solve. Regardless of these particulars, however, patients have consistently been able to achieve a younger, clearer look through this quick, safe method.
How Long Will I Need to Recover from Microdermabrasion?
You will be free to go about your daily routine as soon as you finish the procedure, though you should take a few precautions to make sure your skin is safe and the treatment is fully effective. These include moisturizing your skin regularly, as well as limiting your exposure to the sun.
You should also be prepared for some mild swelling in the area that was treated. Depending on your skin color, you may also find that the treated area becomes red or pink. As long as you stay out of the sun and keep yourself moisturized, these issues are likely to fade within a few days of the procedure. If they don’t, give us a call and we’ll make sure your skin is safe.
NOVA Plastic Surgery offers microdermabrasion and a myriad of other skin treatments from our MedSpa in Northern Virginia. Our goal is to provide safe, effective, enduring solutions for all our patients, no matter what skin issues they are dealing with. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact us today.