Facial Plastic Surgeryin Northern VA
So much of who we are today is defined by the face that we put forth to the world. If you are unhappy with the characteristics of your face, it can really affect your self-confidence and negatively impact many areas of your life. Facial plastic surgery can help you to improve these concerns and help you to regain your lost confidence. While facial plastic surgery may not stop the clock, it can certainly turn it back. There are many options available that may help you to achieve your facial aesthetic goals.Schedule a Consultation
A facelift, or rhytidectomy, can counteract the effects of aging, genetics, sun exposure, and daily stress by removing fat, tightening and reshaping the muscles and skin of the face and neck.
With the advancements in non-surgical options like facial fillers, Botox and laser skin resurfacing, many patients are delaying facelifts until later in life. Despite those advances, no amount of filler, laser or Botox can achieve the long-term results of a facelift.
A facelift may be right for you if:
- You have loose skin in the lower face otherwise known as “jowls”
- Sagging in the middle face or cheeks
- You have loose skin and wrinkling of the neck
Recovery time from this procedure is approximately 4 weeks and it may take 6 months to appreciate the final result. Results will last five to ten years, depending on the patient. A facelift will not address concerns related to the forehead and will require a forehead lift, which can often be done simultaneously.
A mini facelift procedure is ideal for younger patients who are unhappy with their lower face, jowls and neck region but do not want or need a full facelift. This procedure will tighten the sagging skin and loose muscles of the neck while improving the definition of the jaw line and reducing or eliminating jowls. Many patients combine laser skin resurfacing with these surgical procedures to further rejuvenate their appearance.
Recovery is typically around 2 weeks and it may take 3 months to realize the final result. Results will last about 7-10 years.
One of the most common complaints we hear from female patients is distaste about the appearance of their necks.
Over time, aging causes fatty deposits and wrinkles to accumulate around the neck causing skin to lose tone and begin to sag. While there are many non-surgical advancements, such as facial fillers, laser resurfacing and wrinkle relaxers, to combat the signs of aging in the upper face, there is little that can be done to improve the appearance of an aging neck other than a neck lift. A neck lift can dramatically improve the appearance of the neck by pulling back the skin and tightening the underlying loosened muscles. Oftentimes liposuction is also used to remove excess fatty tissue from the region to achieve an even more tightened appearance. Neck lifts are often combined with a mini or full facelift.
Downtime for this procedure is usually 10-14 days. Results can last for about 10 years.
Eyelid surgery may be the right procedure for you if:
- You have bags under the eyes or excess fatty deposits that creates puffiness
- Sagging skin that alters the natural contour of the upper lids often impairing peripheral vision
- Significant under eye wrinkling
This procedure can usually be done both in the office or a surgery center. Recovery will take approximately ten days. You can expect the results of lower eyelid surgery to be relatively permanent while surgery on the upper eyelids will last for about ten years.
Drooping upper eyelids may be also caused by over relaxed muscles and skin of the forehead. During your consultation, we will evaluate your facial structures and recommend the best correction for your specific needs.
A brow lift, or forehead lift, is a surgery that lifts the brows, helps to eliminate forehead wrinkles and reduce a drooping appearance to the eyelids.
This is an ideal procedure for patients who would like to:
- Surgically reduce the horizontal wrinkles across the forehead and the “11’s” between the eyebrows.
(A Botox Brow Lift is a non-surgical treatment for patients that will decrease wrinkling and created a lifted appearance to the brow)
- Raise the brow line and improve hooding or dropping of the upper eyelids
- Reduce the horizontal line across the bridge of your nose
- Recovery time is around 10-14 days with results lasting ten years.
This procedure can help to provide an overall balance to your facial features.
Chin augmentation can successfully help patients to:
- Improve facial asymmetry and/or deformities related to a prior traumatic injury or congenital abnormality
- Strengthen your jawline to frame your face better and distinguish the transition from face to neck
- Balance facial structures such as a large nose
Chin augmentation surgery involves stretching the existing tissues followed by placement of a synthetic implant to create contours of the face to increase the prominence of the chin.
Chin reduction can help patients to:
- Reshape the bony structure of an overly protruding chin
- Improve proportion to the other features of the face, especially the nose.
- Correct birth defects or prior traumatic injuries
Chin reduction surgery is performed by trimming down the bone of the chin to a more aesthetically pleasing shape. Sometimes fat and soft tissue is also removed to achieve the proper proportion.
Chin augmentation/reduction generally requires a week of down time and the results are permanent.
Of all the facial surgical procedures, ear surgery is commonly performed on children since ears are fully developed by the age of five.
Otoplasty surgery is an option for you if:
- You were born with protruding ears
- Have sustained repeated trauma to the ears such as from cauliflower ears from wrestling
This procedure can be performed under local anesthesia, usually the method preferred for adults or under general anesthesia, preferred for children. Recovery is typically 3 days in length but care to minimize touching the ears must be used for 2 weeks after the surgery. Results following the procedure are permanent.