GynecomastiaSurgery & Liposuction to Treat Gynecomastia
Many of the most common bodily issues are discussed and understood the least. Gynecomastia is a powerful case in point. A hormonal disorder that causes male breast tissue to grow, gynecomastia affects the vast majority of men at some point during their lives, yet few people fully understand or anticipate this issue. With liposuction and surgery from NOVA Plastic Surgery, you can reverse the effects of gynecomastia no matter how you developed it.Schedule a Consultation
Your Guide to Gynecomastia
Gynecomastia occurs when the levels of testosterone and estrogen in the male body become unbalanced, causing breast tissue to develop beyond what is expected for men.
This hormonal imbalance often occurs naturally, but becomes more likely as a result of:
- Medication Use – Certain antibiotics, heart medicines, and treatments for cancer, anxiety, and AIDS affect the body’s hormone levels, raising the likelihood of gynecomastia. Testosterone replacement therapy is particularly likely to affect male breast tissue.
- Substance Use – Heroin, amphetamines, and steroids all have the potential to spur breast tissue development. Alcohol can as well, especially if you drink it excessively.
- Disease – Disorders affecting your kidneys, thyroid, and other key parts of your body have the potential to affect hormone levels. If you develop gynecomastia, it is a good idea to ask your doctor about these diseases, as they can be life-threatening.
- Diet & Fitness – Certain foods and drinks, such as herbal substances, can affect levels of estrogen and testosterone in the male body. Your pattern of exercise may also influence your hormones.
The vast majority of men have experienced gynecomastia for at least a brief period, often during puberty or other times in life when hormone levels change. Typically, the condition goes away over time, but when it lasts for an extended period, it often leads men to feel dissatisfied with or embarrassed about their bodies. Thus while there is nothing inherently wrong with having this disorder, many men seek treatment to reverse it. NOVA Plastic Surgery is happy to offer treatment to all men dealing with this issue.
Before & After
Surgical Solutions for Gynecomastia
If these lifestyle changes are not enough and there is no evidence that the condition is the result of a more serious disease, surgery is the surest way to take out male breast tissue.
There are two main types of plastic surgery for this condition:
- Liposuction – This procedure involves removing fat tissue directly from your chest, along with a small amount of blood cells. It does not affect the breast gland tissue itself, but rather reverses the accumulated effects of breast tissue growth.
- Mastectomy – In this procedure, we make a small incision and take out the breast gland tissue. This prevents further breast tissue growth. It is also one of the least invasive surgical options, carrying few risks and having minimal recovery time.
Both types of gynecomastia treatments are relatively safe if performed by skilled professionals, and our team has extensive training and experience in this area. As with other procedures, however, there are some risks if you are not in good health, have a high risk of infection, or allergies that the anesthetic or surgical tools might set off. You should also be careful about ordering these treatments if you are overweight or have skin with a low level of elasticity. The NOVA team is happy to offer you a comprehensive consultation on these procedures and other treatment options for gynecomastia.