In order to get the best results from your laser hair removal treatments, it is just as important to follow aftercare instructions as it is to follow pretreatment instructions. These instructions will give you an idea of what to expect after your treatment. They provide you with tips to maximize your comfort and optimize your results. These are the post treatment instructions that we provide to all of our patients:
- Immediately after treatment, there should be redness and swelling of each hair follicle in the treatment site, which may last up to 2 hours, or longer. The treated area will feel like a sunburn for a few hours after treatment.
- Your provider may use an optional cooling method after treatment to ensure your comfort.
- A topical soothing skin care product such as aloe vera gel may be applied following treatment if desired.
- Avoid sun exposure to reduce the chance of hyperpigmentation (darker pigmentation).
- Use a sunblock (SPF 30+) at all times throughout the course of treatment. Medical grade sunscreens can be purchased at our office.
- Avoid picking or scratching the treated skin. Do not use any other hair removal treatment products or similar treatments (waxing, electrolysis or tweezing) that will disturb the hair follicle in the treatment area for 4-6 weeks after the laser treatment is performed. Shaving may be used.
- Anywhere from 5-14 days after the treatment, shedding of the treated hair may occur and this appears as new hair growth. This is NOT new hair growth. You can clean and remove the hair by washing or wiping the area with a wet cloth or Loofa sponge.
- After the underarms are treated, you may wish to use a powder instead of a deodorant for 24 hours after the treatment to reduce skin irritation.
- There are no restrictions on bathing except to treat the skin gently, as if you had a sunburn, for the first 24 hours.
- Return to the office or call for an appointment at the first sign of the return of hair growth. This may be within 4-6 weeks for the upper body and possibly as long as 2-3 months for the lower body. Hair regrowth occurs at different rates on different areas of the body. New hair growth will not occur for AT LEAST three weeks after treatment.
If youd like to schedule a consultation with our trained staff, call our office at 703-574-2588.