As we age our skin’s barrier function starts to lose hydration, firmness and softness due to external environmental damage. The skin loses the natural oils and becomes damages, dehydrated, and weak lacking collagen and elastin. To help with these concerns we have to get you on the right skin care regimen to improve the skin’s barrier function and to bring the youthful and well hydrated look back to your skin.
To maintain a strong barrier function, you need to use the right ingredients such as antioxidants, lipids, fatty acids, ceramides, and peptides from a trusted skin care line such as SkinCeuticals. The following are the right products for your skin concerns:
- Gentle Cleanser: Using a Creamy Cleanser (Gentle Cleanser) rather than a foaming cleanser will be a great start since foaming cleansers are going to dry your skin out and that’s when the skin becomes dry and irritated.
- Micro-exfoliating Scrub: Using a Gentle Exfoliator twice a week is more than enough. The average person’s skin regenerates new skin cells every 28 days, and as we age our skin takes longer to regenerate new skin cells. Over exfoliating your skin will cause damage to the “healthy skin”.
- Conditioning Toner or Equalizing Toner: Toner’s have many benefits; some are hydrating, others are exfoliating, and some have botanical extracts and inflammatory properties. Toner’s balance, refresh, and restore the skin’s protective PH while removing residue. Some toner’s can be directly sprayed on to the skin and others can be applied to a cotton pad and wiping the skin.
- C E Ferulic, Phloretin CF: These great antioxidants combat any signs of aging by neutralizing free radicals (sun damage) for an overall even skin tone.
- Retexturing Activator: is a multi-benefit product that hydrates, exfoliates and brightens the skin while improving overall appearance of pores and texture.
- Antioxidant Lip Repair: helps fight the signs of environmental damage by rejuvenating, reshaping and replenishing lip tissue for a smooth lip surface.
- Triple Lipid Restore 2:4:2: this moisturizing treatment has peptides, ceramides, natural cholesterol and fatty acids that improves the texture, pore size as well as a more even skin tone. This unique blend works to restore skin’s external barrier, support natural self-repair and nourishes skin to improve hydrating and signs on aging.
FYI: The application of serums is very important since serums are the thinnest of skin care products. Serums should be applied by a pressing motion. To learn more about SkinCeuticals serums, check out our next blog.
Written by Dareen Azar