Botox is one of the most commonly used cosmetic products (more than 5 million injections in the USA alone in 2011). Botox is given to relax the muscles and diminish the wrinkles in your forehead, and smile lines. Botox starts taking effect in about 3 days, maximum effect is reached in 10-14 days. It lasts anywhere between 3-6 months, depending on the amount injected, the size of the muscles and areas injected. Areas that tend to move more, like around the eyes, recover faster than more stable areas like the top of the forehead.
Below are some important tips to make the recovery as smooth as possible:
- Avoid any activities that increase the pressure in your face in the few hours after the injection, like heavy lifting, bending or straining. This is to minimize the chance of bruising.
- Use the icepacks on the areas injected to minimize bruising for the next couple hours.
- You may notice drops of blood at the puncture sites. You can wipe them with a clean wet sponge.
- You do not have to move your muscles in any certain way.
- Some swelling is normal, but should subside within a couple hours.
- You may wear makeup after your treatment. Always make sure to wear a medical grade sunscreen.
We hope these tips will answer some of your questions. If you have anymore please dont hesitate to contact our office at 703-574-2588. Meanwhile, stay in touch with our office by liking us on Facebook in order to be the first to hear about our offers.